Outdoor Spaces: Do Something Unexpected

Outdoor spaces are a great way to extend the space of your home and provide a place to entertain, relax and unwind.  Every home no matter how big or small has an outdoor space.  Often we neglect these areas and don't use them to our advantage!  Don't we?  With spring here and summer around the corner, now is a great time to work on the areas we have.  Outdoor spaces are a great place to decorate with something that is unexpected, like an old mirror, door, chandelier or window frame. 


One day as I was leisurely driving down the road, I saw a beautiful garden with an ivy covered wall.  As I was driving by, I noticed that the owner of the home had propped a large mirror, probably from a bathroom renovation, against the wall and had trained ivy to go around it.  It was gorgeous and unexpected!  What a great way to re-purpose something that might otherwise have gone to the landfill!  Mirrors are something we don't expect to see outside but are a great way to reflect a beautiful outdoor scene.  Above, you'll see how this homeowner used a mirror to create a console table area.  It reflects a beautiful scene across from it. 

 

Entertaining outdoors is a great way to enjoy cool nights and moonlit skies.  It's also a great way to expand your entertaining space.  Old wooden barrels can serve as a way to create serving tables.  I used mason jars with votive candles to hang in trees, line the cobblestone pathways and decorate tables for mine and my husband's wedding.  We all have them sitting around so why not use them? 


To add a burst of color to your fenceline, use children's old rainboots!  Instead of throwing away my daughter's rainboots, I have kept them to tack to my fenceline and plant flowers in.  My mother in-law also shared an idea of using old Crocs by lining them with sheetmoss and planting flowers in them.  I think this year I will pull out my daughter's rainboots and Crocs and do just that! 


This is a pretty elaborate covered patio.  We would all would be so fortunate to have one like this, wouldn't we?  I love the use of the colored glass bottles.  Also notice the round mirrors hanging on the wall.

No matter how great or small, there's one thing about it, everyone has an outdoor space to decorate.  Carefully planning your space is important to maximize the use of it.  Above is a beautifully decorated balcony. 
 

You know how I talked about the unexpected?  Again, I love the use of the mirror but I also love the use of the lamp.  It brings low lighting onto the covered patio.  Also, notice the way baskets and a wood bread bowl was used to serve guest.  Take a look around your own home and see what you might have to use to serve with. 


This is a beautiful patio and a fabulously decorated table.  My husband travels to Florida a lot for work and family.  Recently, he brought me home one of these shell mobiles.  I wasn't too sure about it until I saw this one in this picture.  Isn't it beautiful?  Also, another way to create a table like this, might be to use old wrought iron sewing machine stands.  When you have large groups, it's always nice to have 1 long table where everyone can congregate together. 



As for my own outdoor space, it falls in line with my philosophy, "Great Design Takes Time."  It's still a work in progress!  Several years back my husband built us a beautiful deck with a patio underneath.  Last year, a beautiful hand-forged wrought iron patio table and chair set came into Classic Home Decor, much like the one that is in the store now (see above).  These sets cost over $1300 new, but again shopping consignment is the way to go and it's only $549. 

Take a look around your own home, see what you might have in storage or what you might have that you can re-purpose.  Whatever you do, do something unexpected and create yourself a new space that you can entertain, enjoy and relax.

Your Truly,

Lisa 

No comments:

Post a Comment